Family caravan holidays and camping in Essex

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Trip Advisor

Frequently Asked Questions about holiday home use

We are confident you will enjoy many happy holidays in your Caravan. This is a holiday park and it is important you consider what this means. The following questions and answers explain the holiday use requirement.

Q. What can my Caravan be used for?

A. Caravans at our Park can only be used for holiday purposes. This means the Caravan must not be someone’s main residence. That is why we ask you about the address of your main residence and will continue to do so while you own the Caravan.

Q. What is a holiday?

A. A holiday is a period of recreation away from your main residence, during which no work is done.

Q. How long can a holiday be?

A. There is no hard and fast rule because people’s individual circumstances vary so much. The point is that someone who is on holiday has their main residence elsewhere where they mainly live.

Q. How frequently can I have a holiday?

A. There is no limit to the number of holidays which can be taken in the Caravan provided that it is not used as someone’s only or main residence.

Q. Can I work locally and my children go to local schools?

A. No, as commuting to work or school from this Park would be taken as strongly indicating the Caravan is being used as someone’s main residence.

Q. Can I register with the doctor locally?

A. Of course people get ill on holiday and may use the local doctor as a temporary patient. It should not be necessary for someone with a main residence elsewhere to register with the doctor for holiday periods unless they have particular health requirements.

Q. I am retired and want to use the Caravan all the time?

A. Being retired does not mean you are on holiday. The test is whether you have a main residence elsewhere.

Q. My main residence is overseas. Does this count?

A. Yes, but all the facts are relevant when deciding whether the overseas property or the Caravan is your main residence. There would include whether you own the overseas property or, if it is rented, then how long you have rented it for, how much time you spend in the Caravan and how much in the overseas property.

Q. Can I run a business from the Caravan?

A. Definitely not. This would not be consistent with holiday use. However, if someone wanted to keep in touch with their work or business whilst they are on holiday, for example, they could use a laptop, tablet or smartphone.

Q. Can I have post delivered to the Park?

A. We do not facilitate this. If post is delivered as a matter of course, this would indicate the Caravan is being used as a sole or main place of residence.

Q. Can I register for Council Tax in order to obtain Housing Benefit?

A. No. Business Rates and not Council Tax are charged for Caravans. Paying Council Tax or receiving Housing Benefit to pay the Pitch Fees would be taken as strongly indicating the Caravan is being used as a main residence.

Q. What happens if I break the holiday restriction?

A. Your Licence Agreement with us contains your undertaking to comply with the holiday condition. If you broke that we would ask you to stop doing so. If you were to fail to comply, we would be entitled to terminate the Licence Agreement and to ask you to remove the Caravan. The planning authority might also take action against you for breach of the holiday condition by serving an Enforcement Notice.

Q. What happens if my circumstances change?

A. Your Licence Agreement does not allow the Caravan to be used as a main residence, even on a temporary basis.